How to Import Assets
Within Grey Trunk is an importing feature to allow you to add upwards of 100s of assets at once. There are a couple of things to have prepared before beginning the importing process:
- Make sure you have all the sites and locations, categories, and asset fields set up before attempting to import your assets. You cannot add any of the aforementioned setup items from an import (for example, you cannot add a location during importing, it must be added beforehand).
- You will first need to add ONE asset into Grey Trunk RFID before the importing feature becomes available (the actual 'import' icon will not appear until that asset is added). We do this so you can double-check that you have added all the fields you need before adding a bunch of assets.
Now that all your setup items are added and you have added your first asset, you can begin importing!
You will need to Import assets by individual categories. Therefore, if you have 6 categories, you will need to do 6 imports. The reason we do this is that each category can have different asset fields associated with it.
*Step by Step instructions on Importing*
- The first step to bulk importing an asset is to click on the checkerboard menu in the upper right side of the screen.
- From there, click on the Assets tab and then click on the "View Asset" button.
- Click on the "Import Asset" button after that to begin importing your assets.
- A menu will appear in which you can select a category for the assets you would like to import.
After you've selected a category, the "Download Template" option will become available. You will not be able to select this until a category has been selected.
- Additionally, make sure you are matching what you have entered exactly (you cannot add sites, locations, fields, etc. from the importing feature, all of it must be set up before. Spelling errors in those sites and locations will give you an error).
- If you want to make an asset depreciable, make sure to fill all of the corresponding fields (which include Depreciation-simply enter ‘Yes’ in that field, Total Cost (USD), Asset Life(Months), Salvage Value, Depreciation Method, and Date Acquired).
- If you do not want to use depreciation simply enter ‘No’ in the depreciation field and leave all the other depreciation fields mentioned above blank.
- If Depreciation is set to yes, there will be additional required fields of Total Cost (USD), Asset Life (Month), Salvage Value (USD), Depreciation Method and Date Acquired.
- If a custom field is included that was also marked as required, then this will also be required on the Excel file.
- The bottom tab of the Excel file's name cannot be changed or remapped. It must keep the name of "Equipment."
- ***Important*** When you go to save the Excel document, the format must be Excel 97-2003 Workbook, or the .xls file type. No other file type will allow you to import your assets.
- Once you've saved the file, click on the Upload File button on the menu shown above and then click the purple "Import" button to complete the process.
- If the import was successful, there will be a green notification in the upper-right hand corner of the screen telling you that it was successful.